Club Sponsor EHB ClubsFirst Single System

Maidstone Mens 1s
Wycombe 1

DateSaturday 22nd October
ResultL 1-3
ScorersIaine Brine

Post Denies Maidstone in Hard Fought Battle

Maidstone 1st XI were unlucky not to take away at least a point from their second home game of the season against High Wycombe.
Maidstone started brightly and exhibited real optimism in their movement on and off the ball as they sought to break down the Wycombe defence. Using the flanks well Maidstone had some good attacking possession but the final finish was again lacking. Throughout the first half both teams worked hard and protected their D’s well giving little opportunity for either team to break the deadlock. Despite this both teams did manage to win short corners providing both with their best chances of the half. Maidstone squandered theirs with poorly executed routines whereas High Wycombe didn’t, a well placed drag flick finding the bottom right of the Maidstone goal. However Maidstone kept working hard and didn’t let their heads drop as they reached half time a goal down but easily matching High Wycombe’s hockey.
Maidstone had their best spell of the game at the start of the second half as they dominated the match for 15 minutes, moving the ball swiftly and creating space throughout the pitch. Some sustained pressure from Maidstone inevitably led to short corners and this time they struck goal with a well executed drag flick from Iain Brine. Maidstone continued to press and were unlucky not to take the lead from another short corners after Will Hutchins rocket hit the left post before bouncing to safety. A real turning point in the game High Wycombe seemed to sense that luck was with them and upped their intensity. A suddenly tired Maidstone still pressing for a winner again became susceptible to counter attack. Despite a man of the match performance from defender and Captain Nick Leatherbarrow Maidstone let the game slip as High Wycombe punished their earlier inability to take advantage and scored twice to take the game 3-1.